Thursday, November 18, 2010

GOP, not for me

This letter to the editor in the News & Observer on Nov 14, 2010 sums up my beliefs and feelings so well that I just can't help put post it here too:

GOP, not for me
The free market is the most powerful driver of innovation and invention there is. It is great at creating things. The Republicans get that.


But when a free market creates things that benefit a few to the detriment of the nation as a whole, it is totally lousy at fixing them. The Republicans don't get that.

If the market creates things that make a very few people obscenely wealthy, I have no problem with that. But if it makes a few individuals obscenely wealthy while nearly causing the collapse of our entire financial system or making adequate health care unaffordable for a growing segment of our population, then I believe the government has a constitutional obligation ("provide for the general welfare") to step in.


That's why, after 40 years, I am no longer a Republican.


Steve Mark


Cary NC

No comments: